Time Line: Dunn's Disappearance and Search Efforts
Reported by: Laura Kellerman
Saturday, January 15 2011
The following time line of events was compiled by Bigcountryhomepage.com based on information gathered each day during the search for Hailey Dunn, interviews with Hailey's mother both conducted by our reporters and by Headline News' Nancy Grace, by reports published by other local media outlets, such as ccitynews.net, information from investigators, and search warrant affidavits. This time line is not meant to be a point of reference, not a fact guide.
Anyone with information about Hailey Dunn is asked to contact the Colorado City Police Department at 325-728-5294.Sunday, Dec. 26
* Hailey spent the night with her dad, Clint Dunn, on Christmas, so the morning of Dec. 26 was the last time he saw her
* David Dunn, Hailey's brother, says Hailey is playing a video game at home at 9 p.m. Based on her skill level, he believes she'll be playing until midnight. Monday, Dec. 27
* Hailey's mother, Billie Dunn, says live-in boyfriend Shawn Adkins is fired from his job after some sort of blow-up
* Affidavits show Adkins arrived to work in Snyder at 6 a.m. and left without saying anything at 6:10 a.m.
* Adkins tells authorities he went straight to his mother's home in Big Spring. However, cell phone records show Adkins phone was used at 6:35 a.m. and 6:56 a.m. in Colorado City.
* Nearly a dozen call were made from Adkins' phone in the Big Spring area from 9:38 a.m. to 2:40 p.m.
* A neighbor reportedly sees Hailey talking on the phone in her backyard around noon.
* Adkins tells authorities comes home at 3 p.m.
* Hailey tells him at 3:15 p.m. that she is going to her dad’s, then to Mary Beth’s for a sleepover, but neither Clint nor Mary Beth see or hear from her.
* Adkins and Dunn withdraw $140 from an ATM in Snyder Monday evening. Affidavits say the money was used to purchase illegal narcotics.Tuesday, Dec. 28
* Billie calls her son, David, and asks him to tell Hailey to come home
* Hailey is reported missingWednesday, Dec. 29
* Bigcountryhomepage.com reports the story and airs a description of Hailey, saying police are treating it as a missing personThursday, Dec. 30
* A description and photo of the missing girl have been entered in the TCIC NCIC Region 5 broadcast system which covers surrounding counties. Also, the information has been put on the CopSync system providing anyone in the state with the CopSync system a picture and information on Dunn.
* Bigcountryhomepage.com reports interim police chief John Bivens is treating the case as a runaway
* Searches begin in Colorado CityFriday, Dec. 31
* Bloodhounds follow Hailey’s scent through her neighborhood and to the general vicinity of the Western Suites Motel
* Friends set up a Facebook page to spread the word
* A donor creates a $1,000 rewardSaturday, Jan. 1
* Concerned residents looking to get the word out about Hailey's disappearance turn to the internet and social media.
Sunday, Jan. 2
* The reward is increased to $10,000
* Hundreds show up for a candlelight vigil Monday, Jan. 3
* Nancy Grace takes Hailey’s disappearance national and interviews Billie Dunn
* Grace and guests criticize the initial treatment of the case as a “runaway”
* FindHaileyDunn.com is createdTuesday, Jan. 4
* Reward is increased to $25,000 (to be later reduced to $15,000)
* The case is changed with “missing person”
Wednesday, Jan. 5
* Billie Dunn, Adkins take polygraph tests. Both fail, according to Dunn.
* Adkins leaves town to stay with relatives
* Dunn is interrogated for more than 10 hours
* ABC News airs story about disappearanceThursday, Jan. 6
* Texas Rangers search Dunn home and seize evidence
* DPS helicopter conducts aerial search
* Investigators say the search is intensifying and they’re narrowing leads
* Billie Dunn appears again on Nancy Grace, saying she was told Adkins failed the polygraph prior to her test, then failed herself.
* Lamar unveils donated missing person billboards
* CBS News, Fox News air stories about disappearance
Friday, Jan. 7
* Volunteers are asked to gather at 2 p.m. at the Mitchell County Court House to begin a county-wide search
* Law enforcement conducts door-to-door interviews in Colorado City
* The polygraph administrator says he did not release the results to anyone
* DPS interviews Billie Dunn again
Saturday, Jan. 8
* Volunteers head out to again search for clues
* Law enforcement continues going door-to-door in Colorado City. Primary focus for the day moves to Dunn, Texas
* Authorities say they've found nothing to lead them to believe foul play is involved in Hailey's disappearance.
* "Find Hailey Dunn" Facebook page reaches 10,000 fans.
* Billie and Clint Dunn both submit DNA samples in the event a body needs to be identified.
Sunday, Jan. 9
* Authorities say key players in the case are not being forthcoming with the truth
* A witness comes forward saying she saw Hailey walking with two girls either December 26th or 27th. Authorities ask those girls to come forward
* Hundreds gather in towns across the Big Country to pray for Hailey at vigils.
Monday, Jan. 10
* DPS and the Texas Rangers spoke to Colorado Middle School students pleading for anyone who knew anything about Hailey to come forward. They emphasized to the kids that no one was in trouble.
* Investigators interview two students, but haven't said if they are the ones that were spotted with Hailey.
* Nancy Grace dedicates another one-hour broadcast to the Dunn investigation.
* Law enforcement says they're working two investigations in this case: one that Hailey is a missing person and two that she's the victim of a crime.
* Authorities say there's no evidence Hailey is a runaway or is hiding. Tuesday, Jan. 11
* Investigators plan to follow up on leads from the dozens of tips they're receiving each day.
* The FBI gets involved in the releasing of information to the public.
* Officers say they'll try to do a better job communicating with the family.
* Affidavits are released revealing a chilling timeline of events regarding Billie Dunn and Shawn Adkins
Wednesday, Jan. 12
* Billie Dunn responds to the affidavits saying most of the items are true. She does have issue with three aspects of the documents.
* Adkins refuses to respond to the affidavits
* Authorities say they have several "persons of interest." They reveal Adkins is among them.
* Law enforcement says its continues to follow up on the nearly 250 tips they've received. 80 square miles has been searched.
* Nancy Grace again features the Dunn case.
Thursday, Jan. 13
* An article appears on the main page of CNN.com bringing Hailey's story to tens of thousands.
* Hailey's paternal grandmother says Hailey was scared of Adkins and theorizes that he killed her
Friday, Jan. 14
* Adkins is named a suspect in the investigation.
* Dunn's seized car is returned to her; investigators hold on to a few items from inside the car
* Investigators comb through an Abilene landfill looking for clues. Saturday, Jan. 15
* Officials confirm the search at an Abilene landfill did not results in any evidence found.
* Shawn Adkins refuses our requests for interview for the fifth straight day. http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=329087